Friday, May 3, 2013

Day 3

Day 3: Things that make you uncomfortable

I decided with this blogging prompt that I would be honest.  Things normally one wouldn’t say.  So here goes.

beggar sign

image via

Seeing a person on a corner holding a sign saying ‘out of work’ ‘need money to feed my family’ etc., makes me extremely uncomfortable.  It is not that I don’t feel for them, trust me I do, but it is that I don’t know how to respond.  How to act.  Do I turn my eyes away and pretend they are not there?  Do I look them in the eye as we turn away from them on our path in our fairly nice vehicle?  I just simply don’t know what to do.  I don’t carry cash on me (who does these days really?) so even a dollar isn’t around to be given.  There are stories on shows like Dateline and 20/20 about those people that don’t really need anything but are out there taking what they can.  Seriously though, can those stories be true?  Here in the Midwest we don’t have the harshest of winters but they are harsh enough.  Would someone really be wanting to stand out in the bitter and occasionally snowy cold for hours on end hoping to get a few bucks for many hours?  I am ashamed to say that this makes me uncomfortable, but I truly don’t know how to respond in these situations.  May I ask, what do you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment